Saturday, June 1, 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

Three National Organizations I have chosen:

National Association of Elementary School Principals
"The mission of NAESP is to lead in the advocacy and support for elementary- and middle-level
principals and other education leaders in their commitment to all children" (National Association of Elementary School Principals [NAESP], 2013, p. 2).

I chose this one because I will be the CEO/principal of my own school one day. It would be a good idea to have access to a support group that consists of other principals as well.

National Child Care Association 
This association is helping to preserve a parent's right to choose the quality of a licensed, center based provider of early education and care. "The Mission of National Child Care Association is to promote the growth and safeguard the interest of quality early childhood care and education focusing on licensed, private providers of these services" (National Child Care Association [NCCA], n.d., p.2).

I chose this one because I believe that parents should always have a right to choose quality child care and education for their children.

Social Media Community (Of Practice)
Social Media Community of Practice identifies opportunities and challenges to improve government use of social data, and collectively address them for the shared benefit of all agencies. They support the creation of online communities that provide opportunities for citizens to collaborate, participate, and engage with their government (Howto.gov, 2012).

I chose this one because it was very interesting to me. But one thing that is unique about this CoP is that you have to work for the government (and have a government email address) in order to join it. I have been considering working for the government lately. I have taken an interest in other position in the education field as well...

Three job positions that interest me:

Deputy Superintendent (Buffalo, NY)
Candidates must have a Master’s degree and a NY State School District Administrator (SDA) or School District Leader (SDL) certificate by the time of appointment. A Doctorate Degree is preferred. Candidates must have 8 yrs. of supervisory experience. In addition to that, candidates with successful administrative experience in an urban school district with a large racially and economically diverse population are preferred (NAESP, 2013).

CEO: The Ewing Marion Kauffman School (Kansas City, MO)
Requirements: 3+ years in a school leadership role (or equivalent experience); Minimum of 2 yrs. teaching experience, preferably in a “whatever it takes” or “no excuses” school environment (or equivalent experience); and Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred (NAESP, 2013).

Elementary School Principal: New Horizons Charter Academy (North Hollywood, CA)
Requested and Desired Experience: At least 5 years of successful full-time educational/administrative experience in a K-12 program; A familiarity of working with students with special needs; A minimum of one year experience in a school based administrative position; Bilingual- Spanish and English. Candidate must also have a Master's Degree (NAESP, 2013).

I can see myself working in these positions although I may need more work experience and training. But it is good to have an idea of what is out there so that I can know what to push for in the near future. We're almost done!!! *Hallelujah*


References:

Howto.gov. (2012). Social Media Community. Retrieved from http://www.howto.gov/communities/federal-web-managers-council/social-media

National Association of Elementary School Principals. (2013). Leading Early Childhood Learning Communities. Home. Members. Retrieved from https://www.naesp.org

National Child Care Association. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from http://www.nccanet.org/index.cfm

1 comment:

  1. Brandee,
    I think that being a principal would be a very difficult yet rewarding job. I think many times principals are viewed as the "bad" guy or the one who is making teachers adhere to alot of rules and regulations but their job is so very important and vital to the school. I commend your desire to want to fulfill this role and it looks like you have found some great resources that could help you do it. I am going to look into the National Child Care Association. This is a website I had not heard of yet but I think I might find some information in it that could help me with my project. Thank you for sharing these valuable websites with us.

    ReplyDelete