Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nonviolent Communication is the Key!

I just started a new job working in sales. I like the job a lot; there is so much to learn about selling home security systems. I had my training about three weeks ago and it was pretty intense. There was a lady in the class who apparently had more sales experience than me. We had to do a "role play" and needless to say, I still needed more training (lol). But everyone in the class made mistakes when they did the role playing. So it was no big deal...so I thought.

After I was done, my trainer asked did anyone have any feedback on how I did. The lady with all the "sales experience" had something to say, which was not applicable to what I had done. I am not going to lie, at first, I was offended. "Who are you telling me anything? You are in this training class just like I am". But instead, I "stopped, looked (at her), and listened to what she had to say. And I am so glad I did because that could have turned into a mess! Nonviolent communication is always the best way to go when trying to resolve a conflict. So, I took a deep breath and told her what was really true and my trainer backed me on what I said. He turned around and came down on me but he can do those things...HE'S THE TRAINER! And what he said was right. So I took the correction for what it was.

With that being said, the "stop, look and listen" strategy was something that I was reminded of this week. But learned it more in depth. And I believe that the "stop" part is the most important part: "Stop. Take time to prepare. Take a time out. Count to 10. Take a deep breath. Remember, 'everything starts by stopping'". This is so true; and working through this conflict proved it. 

Another strategy I learned is called "alternative dispute resolution" or "ADR". ADR refers to any process or collection of processes established to resolve disputes without trial or violence. As I mentioned in my application assignment, there is no set way to resolve conflicts in a nonviolent way. But there are many ways to resolve conflicts peacefully. I believe that was proven true working through this conflict as well. What do you all think? Feel free to give feedback. Thanks in advance!




2 comments:

  1. I think that's great that you had the opportunity this week to use the skills we are learning. I love the idea that 'everything starts by stopping.' It's always a wise thing to do especially when you feel you're getting emotional charged in a situation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great how a class in Early Childhood can make such a big difference in every part of our lives! I must say that I need to work on the STOP part. I will remember your post the next time I get frustrated at work!

    ReplyDelete