Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Fifth Stage of Team Development

Adjourning (as well as the other stages) is a very essential stage in team development. It's like the conclusion to a research paper. I believe it brings “everything together”: ties up most (if not all) of the loose ends. When I think about the groups I have been a part of in my lifetime, the ones I liked the most were those that had the best “endings”. We were one on accord with what we were trying to do; we had the same vision. By the time the meetings came to an end, it was already established that we were on the same page. And that felt really good.

I would say that the high-performing groups and those with the clearest established norms were the hardest to leave. When I think about the groups that may have had both of these “qualities”, I think about my church choir and band. We had the same vision in mind: to win souls. Music is a tool to bring people on one accord anyway so I believe that played a huge part in our unity. We would always pray before and after practice. So even if we did veer off and lose focus, I believe the prayer put us back on track. 

I imagine that the adjourning from my colleagues will be somewhat similar to the adjourning from the choir/band. Although I may not communicate with some of them outside of this program, I believe that we all have the same vision in mind. We all have a passion for children (at least I hope we all do). We all want to make a difference. We all want to make a change in society. With that being said, I will always feel connected to my colleagues for these reasons. I will always know in my heart that we are serving our purpose. I do not believe we would be in this degree program if we were planning to do otherwise.


Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

3 comments:

  1. Brandee,
    I liked how you compared the adjourning stage to the conclusion in a research paper because it is the closing. Some high performing groups are indeed extremely hard to leave. I think it all depends how much you know all of your team members.
    Arica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee,
      I will agree that it is important as a team to be on one accord. When you look at your teamates as being one body that works together the job will get done and the ending results with be completed. I enjoyed reading your post and thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Brandee,
    I think your outlook on what your relationships with your colleagues will look like after graduation was very well stated. We will all be in the world trying to make a difference. Thanks for sharing!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete